Candidates: Ange Tan Seok Ling

Ange Tan Seok Ling
IW: Dec 2009
Expedition: Borneo 10D
Currently: Lab equipment sales
Preferred committee role: IW Officer

Most of us if not everyone, loved their IW. I did too and running an IW would prove to be a fun and challenging task in which I would like to undertake. 

ps: has brain freeze now, don't know what to write ! That is all for now first!

If you have watched the highly acclaimed academy award movie directed by Tom Hooper, The King’s speech, I would like to tell you a story, relating me to the main character in the movie, King George VI.
King George the VI stammers when he speaks publicly. Imagine stammering in front of millions of people who looked up to you. You wouldn’t want to be in his place.
I don’t stammer, as far as I know, but I felt a deep connection with the character the day I returned to KL after expedition. I volunteered myself for the vacant IWO post. But I gave up shortly after, due to stresses that I could not manage and the uncertainties of landing a job after being jobless for a month.
It was a hard decision, but I knew I had to let it go. Now thinking back, I made a good decision. Although I did not hire a speech therapist like King George VI did, I joined IW as a coordinator for 3 terms consecutively. Only to equip myself with all the knowledge I can absorb. Stayed back till post mortems finished for every IW so that I know what minor details I have to pay attention to and voice out when necessary.
One of the ways that I feel ‘useful’ as an ex-venturer and fulfilling the fourth challenge of giving back to the society is by redeeming the IWO post back at this 2011 AGM.
That is how I can provide the future IW participants a memorable IW in hope that these participants would go for expedition because after all, it was my IW that inspired myself to go for expedition, to experience what other ex-venturers have experienced which they spoke so loudly and proudly of.
 I was a participant, a staff (once) and coordinator (3 times). I never missed an IW and I have attended 5 IWs so far. I am ready to take on the IWO post now!
Things that I would like to change!
I felt there has been a lack of communication among the facilitators and coordinators during IW. Debriefing was always a problem. A bad debriefing brings down the participant’s spirit. In this IW, I hope to educate or rather let all the future facilitators experience and know more about the importance of a good debriefing.  Debriefing skills are important, not only in IW, but also while you communicate with other people, be it your friends, colleagues or the public. We want the participants to think on their own, dig out the story rather than we pointing out to them during debriefing! That is definitely a skill to pass on.
Having backed down as an IWO last year, I feel that I’m ready, equipped with more knowledge and of course with the help of everyone, the staffs and past IWO, I wish to run an IW that will be fun and exciting to all. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment